Table of Contents
Museum Room in the Roncali Lighthouse in the province of Pinar del Río.
When we talk about the extremes of Cuba, we include from the tip of Maisí, in the eastern province of Guantánamo, to the Cabo de San Antonio at the western end that is Pinar del Río. Precisely in that low-lying area is the Roncali Lighthouse to provide the necessary guidance to maritime navigators.
History and Characteristics of Roncali Lighthouse.
Several legends are woven around the construction of this important lighthouse. Some people say that before their arrival the marines were located by a large tree that was in that place, but the big problem was at night when the majestic plant was not visible, and this caused serious accidents.
Due to the need to change that history in May 1849, construction began on what is now known as Faro Roncali, which owes its name to Governor Federico of Roncali. It has a total height of 25 meters from the base to the ceiling where the light that reaches considerable distances of up to 30 kilometers comes out.
Roncali Lighthouse museum room.
The Roncali Lighthouse museum room located in the lighthouse of the same name was opened to the public in 2000 and has documents and objects related to the construction of this majestic heritage and its protagonists. Similarly there is a photographic sample of the history of Roncali from its construction to the present.
Due to its geographical location, there are also pieces of archaeological origin dating from the Aboriginal, Colonial and Neocolonial stages.
The room was restored a few years later by the Municipal Museum of Sandino and the Aid to Navigation Agency, after which it was possible that visitors had a more privileged view of the history of the lighthouse and that area of western Cuba.