Known as the Colossus of the Hill (Coloso del Cerro), the Latin American Baseball Stadium is the largest baseball stadium Cuba
Latin American Baseball Stadium opened on October 26, 1946, naming as Gran Stadium of Havana. Since its founding it became the largest stadium in the country, displacing the La Tropical Stadium, today’s Pedro Marrero Stadium.
Before the triumph of the Revolution, there political demonstrations and student protests were carried out, the most significant was in 1956.
In 1961, when of the Cuban baseball professionalism is eliminated the place takes the name Latin American Stadium. With capacity for 55,000 spectators, the dimensions are 325 feet left and right and 400 by the central gardens, the latter backed by a fence of about 4 m high. It is currently the home of Industrial team, the capital representation and serves as the headquarters of the National Commission of Cuba Baseball.
The first game took place with a full house, and there Almendares and Cienfuegos teams were fighting for the first place. According to reports, it was the first time that so many people went to see a sports event.
Latin American Baseball Stadium Renovation
It was remodeled in 1971, the garden got wider as well as the extension of the area of the stands.
In 1999 major repairs were made, with a view to developing a game with the Baltimore Orioles in the United States, this was a major reconstruction, which included fences cushioning to prevent injury to the players, all the stands and the grass were also cleaned up.
Latin American Baseball Stadium a Symbol of Cuban Baseball
The Latin American Baseball Stadium is the symbol of Cuban baseball since it has hosted many important moments for it is the installation with greater level in Cuba, it has not only served for baseball games but many activities, including boxing exhibition stands between world heavyweights champion Joe Louis and Omelio Agramonte.
Armandito El Tintorero and the Latin American Stadium
While sporting events that were witnessed in the Latin were formidable, more formidable were the shows that Armandito El Tintorero performed in the stands cheering both athletes and the audience.
In 2004 in the area of the third base stands a statue was erected by artist Jose Villa Soberón: in memory of Armandito El Tintorero, in the same chair where this amateur baseball lover sat in Cuba.