History of the Bariay National Park Monument.
One enters the Bariay National Park Monument by the Spanish fort, small construction appeared during War of Independence of Cuba (1895-1898), entirely constructed of hard wood and mounted on piles; with plank floor, wood ceiling lined with palm leaves, which also has loopholes. In its interior are conserved objects of those that used at that time the Spaniards in Cuba. Within the Bariay Park, the site where the ships of Columbus anchored is marked by a buoy, which presents a banner in its upper part with the coat of arms of Admiral Christopher Columbus. From there the sailors could see the roofs of the houses of an aboriginal village. From there he ordered Columbus to anchor and ordered to disembark to land and take possession in the name of the Catholic Monarchs. It was precisely the archaeological excavations carried out by Dr. Jose Manuel Guarch del Monte (1931-2001) and his collaborators in the Bariay Park – who had previously discovered the Taino village and cemetery of Chorro de Maita – which they laid bare the remains of the fishing village that Columbus found on his first trip, and of which a replica has been made, very close to the museum raised just where the archaeological evidence was found, which offers a sample of life, customs and form of life in those communities. Since then, new archaeological finds have been made as part of a policy aimed at rescuing the historical and cultural heritage, and enhancing their knowledge, protection and proper management.
Characteristics of the Bariay Monument National Park.
The Bariay Monument National Park, is located approximately 37 km from the north coast of the province of Holguin. Its natural and historical riches go from its bay and river, scenarios of the disembarkation of Christopher Columbus, to its diverse ecosystems. The Bariay Park has enough attractions, because it has excellent beaches and a very rich and peculiar flora and fauna. The infrastructure of the park brings together more than three parks and a hundred trails to travel through more than 40 kilometers of cliffs, where you can enjoy 13 beaches, such as Guardalavaca, Esmeralda and Pesquero, six bays, three rivers, seven cays, some 170 caves and numerous archaeological sites. This is highlighted by natural forests and the proximity of the Chorro de Maíta Cultural Recreational Park. In addition the site has an extraordinary submarine platform, with several coral barriers and wrecks. From Bariay Park it is possible to admire two of the most striking sites in Holguín’s geography, the La Silla de Gibara mountain hillocks, a mountain named by Admiral Christopher Columbus, due to its resemblance to a horse saddle, and the Mosque of Columbus, site that recreates a beautiful Andalusian legend. In the Park there is an interesting archaeological museum that shows the vestiges of the village seen by Christopher Columbus, there has been carried out the replica of this taking as a reference the description made in his diary by the Admiral. Also, in the House of the Ranger it is possible to appreciate the reconstruction works of the ecosystems that exist there and at the same time to know the habits and the customs of who protects the forests of the zone.
The Bariay Monument National Park a Place of Historical Relevance.
The Bariay Monument National Park is a place of historical importance because it is the scene of the encounter between the two cultures: the New and Old World, an event that occurred with the arrival of Admiral Christopher Columbus and his three caravels: La Niña, La Pinta and La Santa Maria, on the quiet morning of Sunday, October 28th, 1492. The meeting of the two cultures is remembered there with a commemorative monument erected in the year 1992, at Punta de Sabaneta, on the occasion of the 500th anniversary of that extraordinary event. The monument perpetuates the scientific feat carried out by Christopher Columbus and the expeditionaries who accompanied him on the Atlantic crossing until arriving at the American continent. But it is worth to notice that it was not erected to exalt the conquest and colonization that continued after the arrival to the New World, facts that brought with it the extermination of our native settlers.Punta de Sabaneta is located in the eastern part of Bariay Cay, a place selected for the monument because it is located at the mouth of the bay, which gives it a peculiar landscape of beauty when mixed with Cuban nature and the blue Atlantic Ocean the sculptural and architectural work. In the fine sands of Bariay, the flagship of the province of Holguin, it was where the Admiral stepped on American soil, discovering a new world that, in his own words, was “The most beautiful land human eyes have ever seen.” Five centuries later, those who arrive in Bariay, as well as rejoice in the knowledge about the historical episode, find the peace and tranquility of a unique tourist area, very appropriate for lovers of ecology. Among its natural values are the Hills of Maniabon, especially the orographic accidents of hills of peculiar form. It is then possible to admire in Bariay a spectacle that is almost never repeated on the Island or in the world; to this landscape are added the views of the bay and the panoramic of the extensive coves of Bariay Cay from the hill, its natural viewpoint. The bay where Christopher Columbus landed was baptized Port of San Salvador when he thought that he had arrived at India, reason why they named Indians to the first settlers. Tags: • Holguin